Thursday, January 7, 2010

Words with Wiley

This morning Wiley, Shane and I were hanging out in bed for a few minutes before getting up. These are two of my favorite Wiley quotes from our time together:
* Wiley said, "Mommy, let's give seal kisses!" (He loves to rub his nose on mine for seal kisses in the morning.)
* We were practicing putting sounds together to make words. I was saying, "s . . . at" over and over again and he was guessing what word that made. We had just done cat and hat. As I started saying, "s . . . at, s . . . at" Wiley shouts out his guess, "chummy!" (no idea where that came from:)


When Shane was putting Wiley to bed, they were singing a few songs about God. Wiley then began to sing "Happy Birthday, dear God". Shane told Wiley that God doesn't have a birthday because He has always existed. Wiley said, "Oh, I see." Then they said their bedtime prayers. This was Wiley's prayer, "God, I pray that somebody would give You a birthday." He meant birthday party - he was sad that God doesn't have a birthday.


While Shane was telling Wiley a Star Wars story the other night, he said, "And then the ship came out of hyperspace. And what do you think they did next?"
Wiley replied, "They took off their seatbelts."


Today it was rather warm for a winter day so I took the kids for a walk. Towards the end of our walk, Wiley lay down on the edge of our neighbor's yard and said with a big smile, "Today is a GREAT day!" He then proceeded to get up, come and hug me and Evie and tell us each that he loved us.
(Yes, I must agree, a great day indeed!)


The other day Wiley and I were having a discussion about my engagement ring. I told him that Daddy gave it to me and asked me a question. I said, "What question does a man usually ask a woman when he gets down on his knee in front of her and holds up a ring?"
Wiley's response, "I like it in Who-ville, I like it a lot!" (From Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears a Who)


While playing with Evie today Wiley said, "Evie and I are having a date!"


Most everytime Wiley sees me and Shane hugging, he will ask, "Are ya'll getting married?"


A few nights ago Wiley had the hickups. He wanted to wrestle with Shane before bedtime but Shane told him he couldn't unless his hickups went away. When they began to pray for their bedtime prayers, Wiley prayed, "God, please make my hickups go away so I can wrestle with Daddy." At the end of their prayers, his hickups were gone. Shane asked him if they were all gone. Wiley opened his mouth for a moment and sat there listening for them. Then he nodded his head, smiled, and pointed into his mouth and said, "See, they aren't in my mouth anymore!"
(This has happened a couple of times now and we are so thankful that God has allowed Wiley to see in such a clear way that God hears him when he prays. Needless to say, Wiley and Shane have celebrated afterwards each time and thanked God - then they wrestled!!!)

No comments: